1. How can I get ESL certification?
a. Currently certified teacher: Pass the ESL TExES test #154. This adds an ESL certification to all levels you are already certified to teach.
b. Not a certified teacher: Check with the institution through which you are working toward certification.
2. Which test do I take?
Certified teachers should take TExES test #154 which is a half day test. ESL Generalist EC-4, #104 and ESL Generalist 4-8, #120 are full day tests for those who do not have their intial certification.
3. When is the test given?
TExES tests are given six times throughout the school year. The schedule for the school year is released in August. It is available at www.texes.ets.org .
4. How do I register for the test?
Information about online and mail registration can be found at www.texes.ets.org . Registration deadline is usually about 5 weeks before the test date.
5. Where can I find study materials for the test?
The TExES Preparation Manuals, the state study guides for all TExES tests are available online at www.texes.ets.org. .
6. What other test preparation assistence is available?
The Hurst-Euless-Bedford school district offers an ESL TExES Study Course prior to each testing date. The Study Courses cover the ten competencies tested on the TExES, examples of test questions, and test-taking tips. The Study Courses are listed in the staff development catalog and are offered at no cost.
Reimbursement Procedures: (New Hires Only)
1. Prior to reimbursement, the teacher must apply online for his/her certification at www.sbec.state.tx.us.
2. Please submit the following items to the ESL/Bilingual office for the 2012-2013 school year by May 24, 2013: