COURSE: Advanced Automotive
GRADE LEVEL: 11-12
UNIT TOPIC: Section VI BRAKES Chapter 32 Brake Systems Principles and Operation
SCHEDULED DATES OF INSTRUCTION: 15-19 SEPT. 2014
OBJECTIVES: Upon completion of this unit, the student will be able to:
1. Prepare for ASE Brakes (A5) certification test content area “A” (Hydraulic System Diagnosis and Repair)
2. State the operating principles of the braking system.
3. List the parts and terms for disc and drum brakes.
4. Describe how the hydraulic brake system can be used to transfer pressure to each wheel.
5. 5. Discuss the coefficient of friction and describe how the friction between the lining material and the drum or rotor stops the wheels.
6. List the types of brake fluids and their application.
7. Discuss how ABS units help in braking and vehicle stability when stopping on slippery surfaces.
MATERIALS REQUIRED: Class room book: AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGY PRINCIPLES< DIAGNOSIS and SERVICE Second Edition
By James D. Halderman & Chase D. Mitchell Jr.
Automotive training aids
White board and my wonderful drawings
PRESENTATION METHOD: Lecture/large group discussion
ASSESSMENT: Hands on demonstration and multiple choice test