COURSE: Automotive Technology 2
GRADE LEVEL: 12
UNIT TOPIC: Section II ENGINE REPAIR Chapter 8 Cylinder Heads and Valves
SCHEDULED DATES OF INSTRUCTION: 21-30 Sept. 2015
OBJECTIVES: After studying Chapter 8, the students should be able to:
1. Prepare for ASE Engine Repair (A1) certification test content area “B” (Cylinder Head and Valve Train Diagnosis and Repair).
2. Identify combustion chamber types.
3. List the steps necessary to recondition a cylinder head.
4. Describe how to inspect and measure valve guides.
5. Discuss valve-guide repair options.
6. Discuss various engine types and materials.
7. Describe how to test valve springs.
8. Explain the purpose, function, and operation of valve rotators.
9. List the steps necessary to reface a valve.
10. Describe how to grind valve seats.
11. Discuss how to measure and correct installed height and valve-stem height.
MATERIALS REQUIRED: Class room book: AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGY PRINCIPLES< DIAGNOSIS and SERVICE Second Edition
By James D. Halderman & Chase D. Mitchell Jr.
Automotive training aids
White board and my wonderful drawings
PRESENTATION METHOD: Lecture/large group discussion
ASSESSMENT: Hands on demonstration and multiple choice test.